Deadline: May 15, 2017 Entry Fee: $20 per submission
The 2017 gritLIT Writing Contest is now open. We are accepting submissions of original, unpublished short fiction and poetry. The top three winners in each category will be published in the 2017 gritLIT Anthology and will be invited to read from their winning submissions at the book launch event in September. Winners will receive three (3) free copies of the anthology. Winners in each category will also receive cash prizes: 1st Place – $300, 2nd Place – $200 and 3rd Place – $100.
PLEASE NOTE: This competition is open to all Canadian writers. While all six winners will be invited to the September launch event, winning authors would need to arrange for their own transportation and/or accommodation if they wish to attend.
Here’s what else you need to know:
- Short fiction submissions have a limit of 3000 words maximum.
- Poetry submissions have a limit of 300 lines maximum. Poetry submissions may be either one long poem or a suite of shorter poems as long as total length does not exceed 300 lines including titles (not including line breaks).
- Short fiction submissions should be double-spaced. Poetry submissions should be single-spaced with no more than one poem per page.
- All submissions should use a standard, 12-point font. Paper submissions should be printed on one side of the page only.
- All submissions must include page numbers.
- All submissions must include a title page with the following information:
- Word count (short fiction) or line count (poetry)
- Author’s Name
- Mailing Address
- Telephone #
- Email address
- Author’s name and other information should not appear anywhere in the submission except the title page.
- Multiple submissions and/or submissions to both contests are acceptable. There is a $20 entry fee for each submission.
You may submit your entry by mail or online.
Submitting by mail:
Please include a cheque for the entry fee payable to gritLIT. Submissions must be postmarked by May 15, 2017. All submissions should be addressed to gritLIT Writing Competition, 280 James St N, Hamilton, ON L8R 2L3.
Please email a Word document to email@example.com. Once we receive your submission, we will send you an invoice for the entry fee.
Good luck, and happy writing!